Drift is a cafe founded on the principle of stripping back the unnecessary. We serve fresh, holistic foods and beverages while offering an interactive experience, driving connections between one another. As a team, we are united by this everyday. We appreciate coffee, love serving good food, offer an engaging atmosphere, cleanup after ourselves and open our arms to anyone who comes through the door.
The commissary baker is responsible for creating and maintaining the baking program at Drift to uphold its reputation as a local leader in offering holistic coffee and food. The position will plan and direct operations around baked goods for the 3 cafes.
About the Job
Our production team is dedicated to making delicious, sustainable and creative food for our guests with the highest quality ingredients available.
This position requires weekend availability and availability in the early hours (start times can be as early as 3am and as late as 5:30am. The position is based out of our Mayfaire facility.
- Bring Drift recipes to life every day, following the recipes and methods prescribed to ensure our food is consistently delicious
- High volume baking, cooking and prep with a high attention to detail, maintaining an ongoing awareness of ingredients as our recipes change with seasons and menu updates
- Portion, package and pack out our culinary creations with incredible care and attention to detail, ensuring that orders are ready by packout deadlines and deliveries match retail orders
- Support your teammates in keeping the kitchen running smoothly by communicating effectively, collaborating and pitching in wherever is needed
- Ensure your station and equipment are in tip-top shape, always cleaning as you go
- Ensure sanitation practices are upheld to protect our culinary creations and guests
- Always utilize FIFO (First In, First Out) and proper storage of food products
- Thrive in a high-volume, fast-paced environment
- Work in a close physical space with your teammates
- Arrive on time and ready for your shift, and always work efficiently
- Monitor inventory and collaborate with Commissary Lead and Leader to ensure accuracy and availability of supplies
- Enthusiastic about your work and the world of delicious culinary creations, you can’t wait to learn more and grow with us
- Obsessed with the details and following directions in order to execute consistently
- Reliable and consistent; your manager and teammates can always depend on you to be punctual and dedicated
- Delightful to work with and have a sense of humor and infectious ‘can-do’ attitude, you’re serious about your work but don’t take yourself too seriously
- 2+ years of experience working in a professional kitchen
- Extensive experience baking creative, beautiful some of which are unconventional (vegan/gluten free)
- Ability to create tangible ideas that resonate with the Drift brand
- A thorough understanding of how to safely, responsibly use and clean equipment
- Food Handler's Certification or certification within 30 days post-hire
- A deep love for food, exceptional customer experiences, and great coffee
- The ability to read and speak English proficiently
- Basic math and writing skills
- Laminate baking experience a plus
- This role is a physical one and the physical demands outlined below are representative of those that must be met for a team member to be successful in the role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job which we’ve mapped out below.
- You have: The ability to stand, walk, sit for long periods of time (at least 8 hours per day and 5 days per week)
- The use of hands to handle or feel and the ability to reach with hands and arm
- The ability to stoop, kneel, or crouch
- The ability to squat, bend, twist and reach for items below waist level or above shoulders
- The ability to lift, push/pull, carry and/or move up to 50 pounds
- The ability to listen and speak
- The ability to climb ladders, stairs, ramps and uneven floor and/or surfaces as needed
- The ability to have close visual acuity to perform repetitive visual checking, counting, spotting small defects, determine accuracy of numbers and package